To gargle or not to gargle? What a question!
But the topic is fraught with dental dilemmas… To brush or to gargle? How frequently to gargle? What to gargle with? How long to gargle for? And, most importantly, can a mouthwash help in the fight against COVID-19?
Betadine®, the household name that has been used as an effective antiseptic since 19559, helps to shed some light on the topic.
Fact 1: How frequently you should gargle depends on your needs.
The daily routine of using mouthwash once a day for 30 seconds helps keep your mouth in tip-top shape and reduces the risk of bacterial or viral infections. But the minute your throat feels itchy or sore you should increase the frequency to four times a day1. More than 85% of all sore throat infections in adults and children younger than five years of age are caused by viruses, which can’t be treated with antibacterial solutions or antibiotics3. As the old adage goes, prevention is better than cure, and by using an anti-bacterial solution regularly, you can prevent a throat infection4. With a 30 second gargle, four times a day, a mouthwash offers a medicated formulation for the treatment and protection against oral and throat infection7.
Fact 2: Not all mouthwashes do the same job.
The benefits you’ll get from using a mouthwash daily depend greatly on the type of product you’re using. There are two types of mouthwashes – cosmetic and therapeutic. Rinsing with a cosmetic mouthwash will loosen bits of food from your teeth, lessen bacteria in your mouth, temporarily reduce bad breath and leave a refreshing taste in your mouth. Therapeutic mouthwashes contain additional active ingredients such as essential oils, chlorhexidine, cetylpyridinium and fluoride, which have been proven to reduce plaque or fight cavities8. A mouthwash that contains a povidone-iodine medicated solution is effective in killing the germs associated with both viral and bacterial infections2.
Fact 3: A combination of brushing and gargling is your best route to dental health.
Mouthwash can’t replace brushing your teeth. Regular flossing and brushing with a soft-bristled toothbrush does a much more effective job of removing plaque and debris than mouthwash alone8. Research shows that gargling with a medicated mouthwash with antibacterial properties as part of your oral care routine not only improves the overall cleanliness of your mouth and helps to keep gum inflammation at bay, it can also kill germs and reduce the risk of contracting flu1.
Fact 4: Gargle for at least 30 seconds for maximum results.
Mouthwashes are at their most effective when in contact with your mouth tissues for 30 seconds1 per use. If you find they’re too strong or sting you should dilute them with water, and some mouthwashes are designed to be diluted. The most important advice is to use mouthwash as directed by the manufacturer8.
Fact 5: There is an active ingredient that can help in the fight against COVID-19.
Povidone iodine (PVP-I) is a powerful antiseptic ingredient recommended by the South African Dental Association6 in their dental protocol in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. PVP-I has been scientifically proven to kill the Covid-19 virus in 30 seconds, in laboratory tests. In July this year, results of laboratory tests conducted at a Singapore medical school were published that recognised the “broad-spectrum antimicrobial and rapid virucidal activity of PVP-I products against the SARS-CoV-2 virus”5. Betadine® Mouthwash and Gargle which contains PVP-I is distributed by Mundipharma and is available at leading pharmacies nationwide. It can be used daily as a mouthwash to kill germs associated with viral and bacterial infections in the mouth, as well as throat.
For more information, please visit www.betadine.co.za/
Mundipharma’s independent associated companies are privately owned entities covering the world’s pharmaceutical markets. Mundipharma is a prime example of a company that consistently delivers high-quality products while standing by the values that represent the company. Our mission is to alleviate the suffering of patients with cancer and non-cancer pain and to substantially improve their quality of life. Mundipharma is dedicated to bringing to patients with severe and debilitating diseases the benefit of novel treatment options in fields such as pain, oncology, oncology supportive care, ophthalmology, respiratory disease and consumer healthcare.
The BETADINE® range of products have been trusted by hospitals and consumers around the world for over 60 years to prevent and treat infections. Over the last few years, Mundipharma has expanded the BETADINE® range of products to include povidone-iodine and non-povidone iodine ranges for the prevention, treatment and maintenance of a range of conditions from wound infections, mouth and throat infections, feminine hygiene and infections and outbreaks to personal and hand hygiene. In-vitro and clinical studies have demonstrated that BETADINE® povidone iodine kills a broad range of bacteria, viruses and fungi including antibiotic-resistant strains.
In-vitro and clinical studies have demonstrated that BETADINE® povidone-iodine kills a broad range of bacteria, viruses, and fungi, including antibiotic-resistant strains.
S0 Betadine® Mouthwash & Gargle. Contains povidone-iodine 1 % w/v. Contains ethanol. Registration No. C/16.4/142. Please refer to the package insert for full prescribing information.
®: BETADINE is a Registered Trademark of mundipharma
1. Kanagalingam J., et al., 2015, Practical use of povidone-iodine antiseptic in the maintenance of oral health and in the prevention and treatment of common oropharyngeal infections. Int. J. Clin. Pract. V. 69, pp. 1247-1256.
2. Betadine® Mouthwash & Gargle package insert. Published March 1996
3. Worrall, G. , 2011, Acute sore throat, v. 57, p. 791–794
4. Data on file. 2020. Accessed 2020/09/30. Available at https://betadine.co.za/throat-and-oral-care/#open-overlay (FAQ – How is Betadine Mouthwash & Gargle different from most cosmetic mouthwash brands on the market).
5. Anderson DE, Sivalingam V, Kang AEZ, et al. Povidone-Iodine Demonstrates Rapid In Vitro Virucidal Activity Against SARS-CoV-2, The Virus Causing COVID-19 Disease. Infect Dis Ther. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40121-020-00316-3.
6. The South African Dental Association. SADA Dental Protocol in Response to the Covid-19 Pandemic. 2020.
7. Data on file. 2020. Accessed 2020/09/30. Available at https://betadine.co.za/throat-and-oral-care/#open-overlay (FAQ – Are antibiotics necessary for a sore throat).
8. Bendall L. 6 Myths About Mouthwash That Might Be Hurting Your Health. Accessed 2020/09/30. Available at https://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-you/oral-health/6-reasons-to-rinse-well-with-mouthwash/
9. Data on file.2020. Accessed 2020/09/30. Available at http://sg.betadine.com/en/sg/about-betadine-brand